At the height of World War II, the Anzac Day events of 1945 attracted record numbers at ceremonies around the country, including this one on the top of ANZAC Hill in Alice Springs. A place of layered histories, the site was first known as Untyeyetwelye by Arrernte people, until the Reverend Harry Griffiths of the Australian Inland Mission suggested it would be a good place for a war memorial, which was built in 1934. The site has been the venue for local ANZAC Day ceremonies since. Last year the Aboriginal flag was flown on the hill for the first time.
Image: Marjorie Andrew, PRG 1708/3/26, State Library of South Australia
Published: 28 April 2019