Tennis anyone? It’s a huge weekend for tennis in the Centre, with the Alice Springs Tennis International taking the town by storm. And the love of tennis goes back a long way. This was Alice Springs’ first tennis court back in June 1906. Located near the Alice Springs Telegraph Station, it certainly had a lovely view. On the court from left to right are Doris Bradshaw, daughter of Thomas Bradshaw, postmaster of the telegraph station at the time, Miss Mabel Taylor, Mr Bill Perry, unknown, Ernest Allchurch, who many years later became the last-ever postmaster of the station, and Charlie Lamshed.
Picture: Smith Collection, Northern Territory Library
Published:18 September 2016